Thursday, December 23, 2010

Vegan Eating Day 9

This morning, I had my first breakfast salad.  Nothing too special.  In fact, I don't really know what to do with salads.  Mine was spinach with blackstrap molasses as dressing because of it's nutritional value, sliced almonds and shredded coconut.  Pretty good except that I'm not used to the taste of molasses.  I like it, but it's weird.  I used to hate honey for that reason, grew to like it and now don't care either way but definitely prefer agave nectar.

One table spoon of blackstrap molasses had 20% of the daily value of Iron, Calcium and something else in it.  I think it had a lot of potassium.  Those are reasons enough to eat it, plus it looks cool.

For lunch I went to Native Foods again with one of my two best friends.  I ordered a pizza that had ricotta (tofu) cheese on it.  I need to find it, buy it and die happy. As always, the sweet potato fries with ranch were amazing.  The chocolate peppermint cupcakes are still delicious also. 

For the past few days, I've been drinking the teeniest tiniest sip of eggnog once a day.  It's delicious and I think letting myself have a tiny bit is probably much better than resisting and at some point binging on eggnog.  (That would be a delicious binge.)

Last night, I cooked steel cut oats.  They are now sitting in a Tupperware in the refrigerator waiting to be microwaved and eaten.  There are probably 6-8 servings there depending on how hungry I am.  I want to do more meal prep like this.  Making things for the week, like pasta, oatmeal, rice and maybe mashed yams. 

Recently, I've been feeling more fulfilled by my meals. I take this to mean that they are more balanced and nutritious. Now I'll be able to cut back on the pricey soy jerky.

No comments:

Post a Comment