Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tip 1-Memorize Something Everyday

I suppose technically I did not memorize something on Day 1 but 2 because it is almost 1AM.  I'll be working on the sleep issue very soon.

However, I have now memorized the second quarter (roughly) of the Gettysburg Address as is believed to have been delivered by Abraham Lincoln on that battlefield not so many years ago.  When I was eleven or twelve, I memorized the first quarter section during class.  At some point I convinced myself that it was the first half. What a surprise when I googled it and found that I knew much less than I had thought.

Really, I can't give you any definitive evidence that I've memorized this. But, why not believe me? It's self-improvement.  It's one of those things where I really would be "cheating myself."

The part I originally knew (with a few minor adjustments):
Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all mean are created equal.  Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation, so conceived and so dedicated can long endure.

New Part:
We are met on a great battlefield of that war.  We have come today to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place, for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live.  It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

Three sentences of one of the most memorable speeches in America's history.  I'm pleased.

This speech should keep me busy for a couple more days. (I accept no responsibility for the accuracy of those commas until further notice.) Then maybe a lovely poem, or a love poem. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment