Friday, December 17, 2010

Vegan Eating Day 5

When I first went grocery shopping as a vegan, I went to the local Mother's Market and bought tofu, soy jerky, rice and almond milk, a cart full of produce and some bags of bulk grains.  For the most part, my diet suddenly included things that I've never eaten on a regular basis.  This morning, I decided to have a bagel with almond butter.  It seemed too easy, where was the preparation and careful instruction following?

I have now come to realize that I can't eat relatively normal things that have the vegan qualities that I'm looking for.  I made a big pot of steel cut oats afterward.  It took about an hour to make them but I will be able to heat some up for breakfast in the morning for the next few days.  I can eat salads and pre-cook a lot of dinners so I don't have to cook at the end of the day when I'd rather be doing...anything else.  I've made this into a big cooking intensive process and it does not need to be that.

If only they made vegan TV dinners...but I suppose the sodium would be unhealthy, entirely defeating the purpose.  Just finished the rest of my vanilla almond ice cream.  Vanilla but made with almond milk. It is really unbelievably good.

Christmas Time Eating
My family is getting together with my dad's brother's family for Christmas Eve.  I'll be bringing my own food so as not to inconvenience them into making something vegan.  I need ideas though.  I was thinking about going to a local vegan place and just getting a fancier than usual meal to take with me and heat up later.  I don't know if this will be an awkward social situation and it makes me a teensy bit antsy.

My dad is making lamb for Christmas dinner.  I'm eating it. End of story. Well, not really the end.  I'll have a few bites of it.  An incredibly small portion because I want to taste it without feeling too many of the effects on my body.  Perhaps it will also be a learning experience.  I'll feel the difference between eating animal products and not eating them far more acutely than when I switched to veganism.
 
Loving Hut
My mother and I went to a vegan restaurant last night called Loving Hut.  The food was delicious.  The service was so-so and the literature and pamphlets were a little bit horrifying.  I saw a few things about something called the Supreme Master.  This is the kind of place that uses 4 instead of for and 2 instead of to.  Just a little 2 new-agey for me.  However, the sweet potato fries and spring rolls made up for it and I will happily return...to get take-out.

Overall
I'm still enjoying the learning experience I get with eating vegan.  My brother mentioned that I'd been very nice this week.  Perhaps a result of my healthy eating.  I've been sleeping well enough.  I've had a bit of trouble falling asleep but I've also been trying to go to bed earlier.  I'm still enjoying the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment